Beer Recipes | Black or White Mussels
“This was the best Mussel Experience we ever had”
We were at the coast recently and read somewhere that stout and mussels make a great combination, however, we only had a Vanilla Porter. So we got some fresh mussels and thought of giving it a go! We were not disappointed with the result at all, in fact, it was the best mussel experience we had ever had.
- 1 shallot
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ½ a handful of fresh Italian parsley (Picked off Stems)
- ½ a handful of fresh thyme (Picked off Stems)
- 50g of unsalted butter
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 kg mussels , cleaned and debearded, from sustainable sources
- 250 ml Black or White “Hy Smaak Ooraait” Vanilla Porter
- 50 ml double cream
- Peel and finely chop the shallot and garlic, and finely chop the bacon. Finely chop the parsley and thyme.
- In a pan on low heat, melt the butter and sweat the shallot, garlic for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the herbs, the bay leaf, and a pinch of sea salt and black pepper.
- Next, add the mussels (if any are open, give them a tap; if they don’t close, throw them away), then add the Black or White. Boil, then lower the heat, cover, and steam for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the mussels have opened (discard any unopened ones).
- Stir in the, adjust the seasoning and serve with bread.
How to Clean Mussels
Preparation of the mussels took some time, but cooking the meal took about 15 minutes. If you give it a try, share the results on our page.
***We also strongly advise discarding any mussels that are not good to eat as advised in the recipe, play it safe***